November 08, 2012

Keeping it real, weird and weirder.

I believe I'm not the only one who thinks it's so friggin' unfair how time flies when you're having a good time.
I have only 3 more weeks left until I have to return to Finland. 

My time here in Portland has been amazing. I've got a ton of new friends, new experiences, new perspectives, new memories... I believed from the very beginning this would be an experience of a life time, but never did I think this whole thing would have such a huge effect on me. I knew I would come back to Finland so much richer than what I was when I left, but there's something I didn't expect.
I didn't expect to find myself in Portland. 



In Portland you can be whatever and whoever you want to be, and no one will say s**t about it. Be a hipster, be a hippie, be a nerd, a jerk, an artist, weirdo... You'll fit in. You have to be very, very strange to stand out here, and it's only uncool if you try too much to be something you're truly not.
To Thine Own Self Be True. 


I will be facing a big challenge in Finland. Trying to maintain my personality the way it really is, and not falling back into my old ways, when I was the quiet one in the crowd, afraid of big changes and afraid to stand out too much. That's NOT ME! If you ever see me starting to follow my old patterns, feel free to give me a good ol' slap in the face. 

"People are gonna tell you who you are your whole life. You just gotta punch back and say: 'No, this is who I am'. You want people looking at you differently, make them." 
- A quote from "Once Upon A Time".

I want to be me from now on. 

Keeping Portland Weird while I'm here,

-i

<3

2 comments:

  1. To Thine Own self be true indeed! I tell you, Ira, you have seen more of the United States than I have - I'd be surprised to find out you have NOT visited all 50 states! You are clearly fearless,and I don't see you slipping back into old patterns. That's what traveling does - it changes you. Too many experiences from all the places you've gone and people you've met - traveling produces GROWTH in a person. YOU ROCK, GIRL!!!!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! You're soo sweet :) I hope to remain like this!! And btw, only 19 states so far. I'll get the 20th when I fly back to Finland!

      Delete