Sometimes (ok, pretty often) I find myself thinking how I would just love to live somewhere else. I'm not just talking about another town, I'm talking about a whole other country. I guess my relationship to Finland is a mixture of two of the strongest feelings: love and hate. I hate the winters, the coldness and the darkness, the snow and the ugliness. Trees are bare from leaves and just make the landscape seem even more grey and dull. Sometimes all the branches are frozen and this place looks like Winter Wonderland but that doesn't make up for all the misery of this season.
Then there's the summer, when the Land of the Midnight Sun is at its best. It doesn't get dark at all, the sun barely goes down before it comes up again. There's something magical in the endless summer nights and every summer I think it's all worth it, suffering through the winter, because the summer always comes back. Unfortunately summer's a short season here.
I've been traveling a lot in my life; my parents have introduced me to new cultures ever since I was a baby and I couldn't be more greatful for that. The only down side of traveling is that when you return home there's always that longing you have left: I wanna go again! Whenever I land to Helsinki and look out the window I feel joy (let's face it, it's always nice to come home), but I also feel frustration and can't help but think when will be the next time I take off from here again. What can I say? Traveling is my life.
Within the last 2,5 years I've travelled to the USA four times and all together I've spent three months of my life there. It's my home away from home. It's a place where -like here- I have great friends. It's also a place with so much new to see every time I go there and it's a place where I feel like home. It's easy for me to be more open and more happy with people who are so incredibly outgoing, gentle, caring and real. Don't get me wrong, I'm so not diminishing my friends and family here for I truly love them more than anything, but we're all true Finns -kinda distant and reserved. I say that with all my love though :)
I'm planning to go back in the summer, for two weeks or four weeks if I manage to get an internship place there. Can't wait for the feeling when I land to D.C: Finally I'm back. Until that I'm trying to take the best out of everything this country has to offer me. Gotta enjoy life!
xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment