My friend and I had an interesting conversation today about talking. Why can't one just throw a topic out there and then talk about it with others without someone taking it too seriously or personally?
Sometimes when I'm writing, I tend to worry what others might think about it. Say I write a story about a girl who turns into a prostitute to pay herself through medical school. Does it mean that I accept prostitution? No. I never depict anything I don't really have to, but sadly, with the world being how it is, having my characters live in a perfect world isn't something readers would buy.
I think the same applies with conversing -why can't we talk about something just for the hell of it? You can always express your opinion, but judging others shouldn't be your job. And if you don't want to take part, that's cool too. Just don't make others feel bad when they've actually done nothing wrong.
When I read, I don't think about the author. I think about the characters and the way they're acting and handling their lives. Fictional or not, they become alive when I read. For me, it marks a successful writer when I'm able to relate to the characters and see the world through their eyes. After finishing the story, all I can think about is how wonderful a job the author had done with it. Not "why would he write that" or "does he really think so?". The beauty of being a writer is that you can create characters with their own minds, you can create whole worlds if you want to. What you write, doesn't necessarily reflect your own opinions. You just have to agree enough to make it work, and more importantly, make others believe in it, too.
Some might not agree with me on this, but I don't really care. What good does it to me to just sit around and wonder if someone's going to approve of me or not? Instead I could go out, meet my friends and just be. If there's a silent moment, I could say something completely random and see how they react.
Try it, might be fun :)
xxo
No comments:
Post a Comment