I've been thinking about friendship and the meaning of it a lot lately. I guess I've been feeling a bit lost. I have a lot of great friends, but sadly I don't see some of them nearly as much as I would like to.
The thing is, when there's a group of people who get along perfectly, who don't keep secrets from each other, who are so alike it's almost scary, you wish you could stay together forever. If that's the case with you, consider yourself lucky. Sadly, life tends to pull people apart, and staying together is going to take a lot of effort.
What is friendship? Really?
To me, it's when friends don't judge each other by their mistakes. When they listen to your problems and do their best to help. If they can't help, listening is enough. It's when they see each other, they can pick up from where they left off the last time. When there's no awkwardness. When they have fights, realizing it started because they care for each other. It's when one look is enough to tell them all they need to know. When their secrets become your secrets. It's group-chatting online. Laughing and crying at the same time. Hiding each other's phones so no one can do anything stupid. Making a complete fool out of yourself knowing that there's nothing that can make them not love you.
It's the need to see each other after a long time, and the wanting to make that happen.
Have you seen the movie Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants? I watched the sequel today for about a hundredth time. I've also read the books. Love them. Lena, Tibby, Carmen and Bridget may be fictional characters, but I like to think that their friendship lasted beyond the books. But then again... Desperate Housewives depicted the friendship of Gabby, Susan, Bree and Lynette, and even after everything they went through, they drifted apart. It was their last poker game on the last episode. I know it might seem crazy to compare real-life friendships to made up -ones shown on TV, but when you really think about it, it's not that crazy at all.
When you have that group, you want to keep it. One day you wake up to find you're not as tight as you used to be, and that scares you. What scares you even more, is that you're not as upset about it as you always imagined you'd be. You've all moved on, and it has almost happened unnoticed.
Almost.
I want a lot more poker games.

ihana!<3 ikävä on!
ReplyDelete