I've been waiting for the letter N ever since I started these alphabet posts. I knew right away I would write about NYC, and my complicated love/hate -relationship to that place.
The Big Apple is the capital of the world. I went there for the very first time June 19th, 2008. I was participating in an Au Pair Training (will do a post about my experiences as an au pair at a later time!) in Long Island and we all had a chance to visit the city. Of course everyone took that chance. I was beyond excited. The first time I saw the Empire State Building made me smile from ear to ear. Having only one day to explore the city, we had a bus tour. We saw all the important places, took Staten Island Ferry so that we could see the Statue of Liberty, we saw Ground Zero, and we all had free passes to go to the top of the Rockefeller Center. After that we had free time to do whatever we wanted.
I fell in love with New York City that day, but it took me a little over 6 months to get back there. Then I got to spend five days there, and after those five days I wondered what the fuss was about. Why had I made a big fuss about it? When I got a second glance and looked a little closer, it was no longer a concrete jungle where dreams are made of. It was just a concrete jungle, with piles of garbage bags on the streets taller than you, homeless people everywhere, 30 cabs in one intersection (ok, the cabs are pretty cool and I love hailing them :D).
There were people everywhere. Way too many people. I'm a city-girl, but Times Square was enough to drive me insane. The second time I was in NYC, I got to see more places, but also some of the places I had already seen. After the trip I told everyone that week is all you need to see what you want to see. After the trip I did not want to go back.
Nine months later I was back. Admitting I liked to be back, but not thrilled. The second I got out from Penn Station, trying to find the nearest Starbucks (WHY DON'T THEY HAVE A STARBUCKS AT PENN STATION?!!) I remembered why I had resented the place.
The hurry.
The constant need to be somewhere.
No one's ever still.
The annoying people by the Empire State Building trying to sell me tickets for $70 and not taking no for an answer.
The rude people (and now let's get this straight: people in America are so nice, kind and open. Compared to Finns New Yorkers are angels. Compared to other Americans they're not. Sorry to all of you living there, this is not personal, just a general observation of mine, and it does not mean all New Yorkers are rude.)
After the third trip I swore I was done. Until last summer, when I found myself in the middle of Manhattan, once again. I was traveling with my family, and they've been to NYC before, so for once, there was no need to rush to any of the tourist attractions. Once we reached Manhattan Mall, I waved goodbye and went shopping on my own.
This time... I loved NYC.
I went to one of my favorite stores, Rainbow, on 5th Avenue. After that I crossed the street to get myself a Starbucks. Then, I put my sunglasses on and headed elsewhere. I knew where I was going. I knew the city, I knew what I would find behind the next corner. I wasn't looking up, amazed by how big everything was. I was walking fast, like all the others. Not one person tried to sell me over priced tickets anywhere. I felt victorious. I like to think I looked like a local ;)
I guess New York does that to you. When you've spent enough time there, you become like the people there. And you find it isn't so bad after all. The city grows on you.
I don't know if I love it. I like it, definitely. And, you know, if one day an opportunity presented itself and I could live there, sure. But I'm also fine with never going back again.
Been there, done that.
<3
-I




No comments:
Post a Comment