March 07, 2012

Unique (?)

If you ever happen to find yourself sitting at a café alone, or just walking aimlessly around, take the time to look at the people around you.

Nowadays hardly any kind of style is news. The society has slowly approved all kinds of ways people wish to express themselves with, and seeing a person with their hair dyed in rainbow colors and face stuffed with piercings is just normal. But how do you know who are the ones who truly want to look extraordinary from the ones who just want to fit in?

I once knew someone who was in line to get into a Design Institute, but she was told her appearance was too plain and boring, that she had the kind of look that wasn't going to get noticed. No matter how talented she might have been, she was judged based on what she looked like. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, because I feel that might be the case with me, also. I'm not applying to a Design Institute, even though my art teacher back in high school told me I had real potential for it, but I'm thinking, if I did, I would most likely be laughed out. I guess you could call my personal style conventional. I like comfy clothes, usually I wear jeans and a t-shirt. On my spare time I like to leave my hair open, because at work I have to keep it tied back. I don't wear a lot of make-up, usually just mascara. I look like nothing out of the ordinary. And that's how I've always wanted to be. Up until now.

I know people who are genuine with their style. They may have a weird colored hair and clothes that seem out of this world, but at least they're unique. They're true to themselves. If someone else decides they want to look similar, they don't care. They know it's their thing, no matter how many clones walk the streets with them. Then there are those, who want to look the same, just because it seems cool. These are the people with awkward expressions on their faces when they really want to look like they're in total sync with everything and everyone around them. You might see them tugging their clothes, trying to make them more fitting, and eventually you end up finding them on a public restroom trying on "cat eye" contacts, taking their search for uniqueness just a bit too far. Come on...



I'm not saying it's bad to want to be different, I'm saying people should do it and still try to hold on to what makes them them. You might just look "normal" and still be more different than you could ever know.

As for me... the change has been subtle. Some may have not even noticed anything. It's quietly surfacing, sometimes it pops up for a moment, making me speak up when I'm usually quiet, or helping me to make a decision in a flash when I normally wouldn't make one without careful consideration. Trying on new things, being more sure of myself.

 It'll be a long process, I figure, but one definitely worth seeing through. I realize I haven't shared that much personal stuff about myself in this blog, and I want you to know that I'm working on a post about Yours Truly. Can't tell you when it'll come up, I honestly have no idea. Someday. I know, someday isn't a day of the week, so let's say... on a Tuesday. Maybe a month from now, or maybe a year. But it'll be a Tuesday, are you happy now?

<3

2 comments:

  1. Well-written, young grasshopper! :) I really appreciate & totally relate to this post. Change is hard, but that is how you know you're growing. And growth is never a bad thing. Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you :) love the grasshopper; wondering if I should make it my new alias.

    ReplyDelete