July 09, 2012

Once upon a time there was this girl...

After a while of posting about random stuff, let's get back to my favorite subject.
Writing. 
Remember how I told you there's an idea I've been working on for a couple of years now? Well, I'm so close to start working on it on paper instead of just in my head. Stoked! It still requires some polishing, but I think I'll get it started this year :) Now, don't be too harsh on me! It's already July, so I'm giving myself only five months. That's such a short time, when you really think about it. And with everything that's going on and everything that I still have ahead of me, I would probably be wise to give myself more time, but I'm too excited to wait anymore. 


All this planning has gotten me thinking about what would make it easier for me to start the writing process. Some say it's useful to draw from one's own experiences, but that's something I want to be careful about. It's only natural that some characteristics and story lines come from my own life, but I wouldn't want to have everything ready, you know? I've noticed that, when writing, sometimes the story writes itself. I love it when that happens. Even I don't know, what will happen in the end, and I'm the writer! 

Let's say I wanted to write about... me. A girl with a dream of becoming a writer, who loves to travel the world and be herself, no matter what others think. That's kinda.... boring. Beentheredonethat -stuff. There's nothing new to it. I would have to color it up a bit. I have this heart-condition that's really not a big deal, but on paper I could make it a big deal. The girl could have some serious problems in her life despite her health. At this point, it's not me anymore, that I'm writing about. It's just someone who's loosely based on me. As I add more to her, she becomes a totally different person, and that's my point here. Autobiographies are one thing, but when it's fiction we're talking about, I think the best way it works is to just keep it that way. Fictive. Real life is where the stories come from, but everything doesn't have to go by the book ;) Am I explaining my view in an enough complicated way?

Let me know what you think! 

xo

4 comments: