July 24, 2012

"This is the last call for the flight..."

I am ashamed to admit that it took me this long to watch the movie Up in the Air. Have you seen it? If not, watch it, it's great!! It's about a man (Clooney!!), who spends more time on an airplane than on the ground, and who has to face new challenges with his work, but to me the work stuff was secondary. I focused on the traveling part, as you may have already guessed :)


When I say that I travel a lot, I mean, like, once or twice a year. To me, it's a lot. But there are other people who travel once a month (like my mom has done this year), people who travel for work, people who travel just because they can. They have the resources. As for me, all my extra money is spent on traveling... something I learned from my parents from very early on. 
I can't even be compared to the people who practically live up in the air. It's their way of life. 

I don't want that. I would love to be able to travel whenever and wherever I wanted, but to do it all the time, switching destination every five minutes... No thank you.

 I love to fly, but it's not the time spent on an aircraft that I love. It's the feeling of going somewhere, of being able to go somewhere. I love circling around airports, I lovelovelove it when the airplane speeds up and takes off. I also love the landing. Sometimes. Not always, when I land to Helsinki-Vantaa International Airport. That's the one place I love it the most, when I take off. 

There are a lot of things you learn, when you travel much. You learn to pack only what's necessary. You learn to ask the right questions when checking in, you learn to have the necessary documents ready at hand, you learn to read people. The latter may not be the first thing that comes to mind, but it's true. Especially if you're traveling alone and end up sitting next to a stranger. After the first couple of minutes you pick up signs of whether or not they're talkative, social or if they want to enjoy their flight (or train-ride or whatever) uninterrupted. But mostly... you learn about yourself. Cliché, but very true. 

I only have a little over a month left until I get to enjoy all of this again. I'm flying with Delta Airlines and I joined their Skymiles -program. After doing so, I wondered why I hadn't joined into these things before... Well, I fly with a different airline almost every time I travel (I just pick the cheapest flights when I book them, without looking into what airline it is), so maybe that's the main factor. But maybe I should join. Can't do any harm, right?

And finally, I wanted to link this song for all of you to listen. One of my favorites, it's somehow very beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment